Some MacBook Pro users have experienced color distortion on the screen after waking the display from sleep mode. Color distortion usually corrects itself after only a few seconds. This problem has worried many Macbook Pro users, and they often bring the device back to the place where they bought it right away. Color distortion is a problem with many MacBook Pro models and years, whether it’s brand new or refurbished.
The possible cause of the MacBook Pro’s color distortion is a software error encountered. The first thing a user can do is run a diagnostic on the Macbook Pro. With diagnostics, the user can determine whether a particular piece of hardware could be the cause of the color distortion to occur. Run the diagnostics by following the step-by-step instructions below.
How to diagnose Macbook Pro with hardware problems
Here’s how to run a diagnostic for a Macbook Pro mid-2013 or later.
- Remove all Pro external devices except for the following connected on your Macbook Pro:
- Display, keyboard, mouse, Ethernet cable, and power plug
- Make sure to check that your Macbook has a few inches of clearance on all sides and is on a firm, flat, and grooved surface.
- Turn off the MacBook
- After a few seconds of rest, turn on the power again
- When the Mac starts to boot, immediately press ‘D’ on the keyboard and hold
- After your Mac asks you to choose your preferred language, you can release the key
- After you select your language, the diagnostic will start automatically
- Don’t forget to make a note of all the reference codes that show up after completing the diagnosis
- Rerun the diagnostic test if you need more information or to review the reference codes
- Then restart or shut down your Macbook
- Tap Agree to send from Recovery Mode
- Then click on the Get Started option if there is an Internet connection. This will send your information directly to Apple Support
- Once you get a response from Apple Support, use their guide to troubleshoot your problem.
For Older Models
Another method that is applicable to Macbook Pro models before June 2013. You would use Hardware Test. This also follows the initial steps for running the diagnostics on newer Macbook models. Once you are done choosing your preferred language, follow the next steps shown below:
- Press the right direction key
- Then select Test
- When you’re done reviewing the results, restart or shut down your Mac
Running a diagnostic check on your Macbook Pro is the first thing to do if you experience color distortion on your screen after waking it from sleep. If diagnostic testing finds a problem with your hardware, you may need to bring your Macbook Pro back to an Apple store or to an officially licensed service provider to have it repaired.