VMware is the most popular software company offering: Enterprise-class cloud computing and virtualization solutions . If you’re a tech expert, chances are you’ve worked with him or at least know his name. VMware is widely used for deploying server and cloud platforms on the web. Many home users also use it to create their favorite Linux virtual machine . It also provides an extensive list of user-friendly utilities known as VMware Tools. It has been specially developed to improve the performance of virtual machines and make their management almost easier. This guide describes 10 very useful VMtools that will make virtualization easier than ever to access.
Some VMware tools increase the speed and performance of virtual machines, while some VMware management tools make management a child’s play. Our editors have compiled this list with all kinds of tools to help modern tech professionals. Go through them and install what you really need.
1. As Built Report
The first choice on the list is a powerful configuration framework used to generate build documents in multiple formats, including text, HTML, XML, and Word. Leverages Windows PowerShell and the document framework PScribo. Managers often use this powerful tool to generate reports on IT-related activities. Also, the tool is very lightweight and does not consume significant resources of your virtual machine.
Features of As Built Report
- As Built Report comes with built-in support for multiple custom style templates including cover page, table of contents, colors and fonts.
- It can be used to perform health checks of VMware configuration issues and send reports over the Internet.
- The user interface is very simple and looks very legit considering the light memory footprint.
- This VMware admin tool is completely open source and can be modified or extended without legal issues.
ESXTOP is one of the best VMware tools for analyzing performance issues in virtual machines. A powerful resource management tool for use in vSphere and ESXi virtualization environments. ESXTOP is widely used by VMware administrators to capture resource usage for performance metrics.
In addition, efficient analysis capabilities can help reduce potential performance drawbacks. Experienced Linux users can consider this an alternative to VMware. Unix Top .
Features of ESXTOP
- ESXTOP provides real-time environment details for virtual machines including disk space, CPU, network and memory usage.
- A command-line tool that keeps the memory footprint low and makes performance efficient at the same time.
- ESXTOP allows the creation of live connections to ESX hosts and supports color coding of related counters.
- Provides users with a convenient way to load batch outputs and play them back on demand.
3. Cross-vCenter Workload Migration Utility
If you are an IT professional managing multiple virtual machines, the Cross vCenter Workload Migration Utility is one of the best VMware management tools. A powerful utility that allows administrators to migrate virtual machines between multiple vCenter servers using a nicely configured GUI interface. A capable tool with features aimed at modern virtualization service providers.
Features of the Cross-vCenter Workload Migration Utility
- The full UI-based workflow of this VMware tool simplifies the simultaneous migration of multiple virtual machines.
- Administrators can migrate virtual machines in parallel or use this tool to create batch migration jobs.
- It can automatically populate your inventory for convenient management and supports REST APIs for automating migration tasks.
- The Cross-vCenter Workload Migration Utility allows you to perform both storage vMotion and shared datastore migrations for VMs.
4. VMware Git
Git has been the de facto version control system for both open source and proprietary projects since its inception in 2005. It makes it easier to contribute to projects you care about and can be a great way to increase third-party collaboration on Vmware projects.
VMware virtual machines do not allow users to connect to the internet by default due to security reasons. Depending on the policy, administrators can usually solve this problem by leveraging a VM-to-VM bridge network. host.
VMware Git Features
- Git on VMware machines requires users to establish a bridged network connection through the host machine’s network adapter.
- You must have the Git client installed on both the host machine and the Vmware virtual machine.
- You need a shared folder to hold or work on your project files.
- It is possible via Git Client Integration Cloud Assembly feature on VMware machines.
5. HCI Bench
HCI Bench, short for “Hyper-converged Infrastructure Benchmark”, is a powerful automation layer centered around the open source Vdbench and Fio utilities. A modern VMware admin tool to effectively benchmark performance metrics of virtual machines.
If you are only working with HCI clusters, you can use this tool to automate your tests. Overall, HCI Bench is an excellent solution to many VMware automation problems.
Features of HCI Bench
- HCI Bench allows administrators to accelerate POC performance testing through a fully automated end-to-end process.
- This Vmware tool can be used to start test virtual machines, aggregate test results and troubleshoot.
- Administrators can use the HCI Bench to evaluate the performance of vSAN and hyperconverged infrastructure storage.
- The data provided by this VMware tool can be used to identify potential bottlenecks in virtual machines.
Hyper is undoubtedly one of the best VMware tools for virtualization service providers. It provides an elegant and extensible command-line interface built using open web standards. Hyper focuses primarily on speed and performance along with reliability and security.
It also provides a powerful list of APIs to make it much easier for VM managers to communicate. Hyper is currently available on all major guest system platforms including Linux, Windows, and Mac OS.
Features of Hyper
- Hyper is exceptionally configurable and natively supports a variety of keymaps and extension APIs.
- Although the user interface is simple, it offers many productivity-enhancing features and is well-tested.
- The open-source nature of this VMware tool encourages developers to extend their functionality according to their needs.
- The npm package manager already has many pre-built extensions for Hyper.
- Hyper Import
7. Linux VSM
Linux VSM is an intelligent Linux port of the popular VMware Software Manager. It is a modern solution that provides a variety of convenient features to make managing virtual machines easier for both home and professional users.
If you are a VMware administrator responsible for managing large-scale virtual machines for enterprise purposes, this tool is a must. Despite the tremendous potential of this VMware admin tool, it is completely free.
Features of Linux VSM
- Linux VSM’s intelligent approach to software management ensures that operations are not interrupted when files are missing.
- The open source nature of this Linux VMware Software Manager allows third-party developers to add new features as they wish.
- VSM for Linux allows administrators to log into VMware accounts, view active/past downloads, change or edit download subsets, and more.
- Lightweight software especially suited for resource-intensive virtual machines.
8. IO Insight
IOInsight is one of the best VMware tools for checking block devices. Removable drives and other I/O devices used by VMware virtual machines. IOInsight allows administrators to monitor these devices with an easy-to-use interface that provides a variety of tasks.
This software is easy to use and easy to operate by many professional virtualization experts due to its practical applications and powerful performance-enhancing features.
Features of IO Insight
- The web-based user interface of this disk monitoring tool makes it very easy to monitor I/O devices for problems.
- IOInsight allows users to select a virtual machine disk (VMDK) to monitor and troubleshoot.
- Useful for optimizing the overall performance of virtual machines by identifying and resolving storage bottlenecks.
- IOInsight is often used by professional VMware administrators to size and performance block devices.
9. vRealize Log Insight
It is important to check your vSphere data regularly to keep your enterprise cluster running smoothly. The vRealize Log Insight tool was developed for this purpose. The industry standard software for syslog analysis is very well supported.
If you’re a professional VMware administrator working with large, heterogeneous clusters, vRealize Log Insight can be one of the most useful additions to your toolkit. However, this tool is not free like most of the tools mentioned here.
Features of vRealize Log Insight
- vRealize Log Insight collects all types of logs (application data, network traces, configuration, system dumps) generated by virtual machines.
- Automatically organize unstructured log data to help build high-performance clusters.
- Modern virtualization engineers frequently use this tool to monitor and analyze log data in real time.
- The vRealize Log Insight tool is highly scalable and designed to work with continuously expanding systems.
Virtualization is the most common area of Linux virtual machines, so having a full remote connection manager that can manage multiple systems simultaneously is essential. mRemoteNG is one of the tools you can use for this purpose.
It is one of the simplest yet elegant solutions editors can find in this situation. Moreover, the very efficient performance of this software makes it very difficult not to recommend it to fellow experts.
Features of mRemoteNG
- The open source nature of mRemoteNG allows developers to modify or extend the functionality of this remote connection manager according to their requirements.
- It supports an extensive list of remote connection services including Virtual Network Computing (VNC), SSH, rlogin, HTTP[S], telnet, and Remote Desktop Server (RDP).
- mRemoteNG provides native support for native socket connections and the Citrix Independent Computing Architecture.
- There are pre-built binaries that are only available on Windows systems, so you need to compile them from source.
The editors reviewed the extensive list of VMware tools in the preparation of this guide. Hopefully, we’ve provided the essentials you were looking for in this guide. We highlighted several popular VMware management tools along with other productive VMtools. Follow the download links provided below each application to install it on your VMware machine. Linux virtual machines and cloud computing resources.